I received my training through DONA (www.dona.org) and worked in hospitals and birth centers in Los Angeles before moving back near family in SLO. I am the proud Managing Mentor of the SLO Doula Connection (www.slodoulaconnection.com) have assisted hundreds of clients at French Hospital, Sierra Vista Medical Center
A doula is a professional who is trained in childbirth and provides continuous support to a mother before, during, and just after birth.
A doula does not replace medical staff or the mother’s partner.
As a doula, I typically provide 1-2 prebirth visits and continuous physical and emotional support to you and your partner from the onset of labor, through the birth, and immediately following the birth to assist with breastfeeding. In addition, since the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020, I began offering virtual doula support which incorporates more intensive preparation before birth (for the husband or partner to be the main physical support) and virtual support via Zoom during labor and birth. Then postpartum support is provided at one day, 3 days, and one-week post birth to assist in any breastfeeding challenges and general questions in newborn care.
Studies have shown that when a doula provides continuous support to a mother and her partner, there is a:
– 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin
– 28% decrease in the risk of C-section
– 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
– 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
– 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
– 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
(from Evidence Based Birth: www.evidencebasedbirth.com)