I am a doula and childbirth educator located on a little homestead in North San Luis Obispo County. I received my training through DONA (www.dona.org) and am the proud Managing Mentor of the SLO Doula Connection (www.slodoulaconnection.com) have assisted hundreds of clients at French Hospital, Sierra Vista Medical Center, Twin Cities Hospital, Santa Lucia Birth Center, and at home.
A doula is a professional who is trained in childbirth and provides continuous support to a mother before, during, and just after birth.
A doula does not replace medical staff or the mother’s partner.
At this time, I am primarily offering childbirth education (both in person and virtual, group and private sessions). See Classes for current dates.
For listings of current doulas offering birth and postpartum support, please see the SLO Doula Connection www.slodoulaconnection.com for which I am the Managing Mentor.
Studies have shown that when a doula provides continuous support to a mother and her partner, there is a:
– 31% decrease in the use of Pitocin
– 28% decrease in the risk of C-section
– 12% increase in the likelihood of a spontaneous vaginal birth
– 9% decrease in the use of any medications for pain relief
– 14% decrease in the risk of newborns being admitted to a special care nursery
– 34% decrease in the risk of being dissatisfied with the birth experience
(from Evidence Based Birth: www.evidencebasedbirth.com)